Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Japan posts record July trade as imports outpace exports
    • DR Congo allocated 70,000 doses for Ebola outbreak
    • Wall Street rises after Treasury expands debt buybacks
    • MAKTEK Eurasia 2026 to connect MENA buyers with advanced manufacturing
    • WHO maps three-month path for Congo Ebola containment
    • Next Level Aviation® Appoints Mike Fleener as Senior Vice President of Global Sales
    • Indonesia 6.1 earthquake rattles North Sumatra coast
    • DRC Ebola outbreak sets national death toll record
    Mauritania TimesMauritania Times
    • Automotive
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Lifestyle
    • Luxury
    • News
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Travel
    Mauritania TimesMauritania Times
    You are at:Home » US returns looted ancient sarcophagus to Egypt
    News

    US returns looted ancient sarcophagus to Egypt

    January 3, 2023
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

    Egyptian officials said Monday that a wooden sarcophagus on display at the Houston Museum of Natural Sciences was returned to Egypt after being looted years ago. Egyptian government efforts to stop the trafficking of antiquities are behind the repatriation. AP reports that Cairo authorities succeeded in returning 5,300 stolen artifacts to Egypt in 2021.

    Mostafa Waziri, chief of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, said the sarcophagus dates back to the Late Dynastic Period of ancient Egypt, from 664 B.C. until Alexander the Great’s campaign in 332 B.C. The sarcophagus, almost 3 meters (9.5 feet) tall with a brightly painted top surface, probably belonged to an ancient priest named Ankhenmaat, although some of the inscription has been lost.

    In a ceremony held in Cairo on Monday, Daniel Rubinstein, the U.S. charge d’affaires in Egypt, symbolically handed over the document. In more than three months, the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office determined that the sarcophagus had been looted from Abu Sir Necropolis, north of Cairo. According to Manhattan District Attorney Alvin L. Bragg, it was smuggled into the United States through Germany in 2008.

    At the time, Bragg said that the spectacular coffin had been trafficked by an organized network that looted countless antiquities from the region. As Bragg pointed out, the same network had also smuggled a gold-plated coffin out of Egypt and displayed it at the Metropolitan Museum in New York. The piece was purchased from a Paris art dealer in 2017 for approximately $4 million. It has been returned to Egypt.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

    Related Posts

    Indonesia 6.1 earthquake rattles North Sumatra coast

    DRC Ebola outbreak sets national death toll record

    Total solar eclipse crosses Russian Arctic and Europe

    Latest News
    August 21, 2026

    Japan posts record July trade as imports outpace exports

    August 21, 2026

    DR Congo allocated 70,000 doses for Ebola outbreak

    August 20, 2026

    Wall Street rises after Treasury expands debt buybacks

    August 19, 2026

    WHO maps three-month path for Congo Ebola containment

    August 19, 2026

    Indonesia 6.1 earthquake rattles North Sumatra coast

    August 17, 2026

    DRC Ebola outbreak sets national death toll record

    August 17, 2026

    DRC malaria cases surpass 26 million in 2025

    August 14, 2026

    South Korea auto exports reach $6.24 billion in July

    August 13, 2026

    Total solar eclipse crosses Russian Arctic and Europe

    August 13, 2026

    International Youth Day 2026 puts youth inclusion in focus

    © 2026 Mauritania Times | All Rights Reserved
    • Home
    • Contact Us

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.